Share This

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sweet Simplicity


The last few months have been filled with one cute project after another, one busy day leading to another. This week we took a much needed break from fantastic projects and crammed days to sweet simplicity. There was no elaborate lesson plan, no extra centers, no last minute runs to the store, just me and my kiddos enjoying each other. How’d I fill the time? I didn’t, it sorta took care of itself. On Monday, we were able to splash with the water spicket outside. On Tuesday, we sat on our steps and ate ice-cream. On Wednesday, we ventured into the deserted area of our school and practiced balancing. Today, I didn’t even read the story at circle time, I put on a cd and the narrator read it for me. What will tomorrow bring? I’m not exactly sure, but I hope it’s as sweet as the beginning of the week.

5 comments:

  1. I sooo need a week like that! It sounds like you've had an awesome week! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love days (or weeks) like that... I'm feeling when the year comes to a close, we're going to have lots of days like this... thanks for reminding us it's OK to let go, relax, and enjoy the time we share with our sprouts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful read. This is why I miss working at the preschool level. Kindergarten has become grade 1 and the students spend all but 20 minutes of their day working on academics. I spent 14 years in preschool and loved every minute of it. I loved working with a team of teachers and teaching at a developmentally appropriate level. It breaks my heart to drag children into areas they are just not ready for - GIVE THEM A FEW MONTHS MORE! But no, we must move the 5 year olds into creating written texts and reading at a level 3. Let's get rid of grade levels all together and allow the children to flow from one level to the next without boundaries. Some of my students are reading beyond the expectations for the level but others need much more time. One size fits all? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like a "Sweet simplicity" weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love weeks like that. Simple is usually best, especially with young children. I remember the days when I would just sit on the porch with an ice pop and friends. Kids need that every now and then.

    ReplyDelete