Share This

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Preschool Native American Vests

It's always a great idea to get acquainted with the neighborhood grocery store. One of my favorite places is my local Winn Dixie Supermarket. I make regular visits and the manager is never surprised when I ask for classroom help. I went in and asked for brown grocery bags for each of my students to create indian vests for our Thanksgiving Feast. As usual, they were more than happy to help. 

Here's what we did. I carefully opened each bag from the top and along the side seam. I opened them up and laid them flat. Then, I turned the Winn-Dixie logo on the inside. 


I made a u-shape for the neck and openings for the arms. My assistant taped each shoulder strap, and wrote the child's name on the inside. We made little slits along the bottom to create a fringe look. 

 The children chose 2 different colors to make handprints on their vests. 


While some students created handprints others were busy with markers and crayons decorating. 


We decided to take some early photos of the finished product since I'd be too busy to remember the day of the feast. 



We're "thankful" for our local Winn-Dixie for supporting our class and Early Childhood Education. 


No comments:

Post a Comment